BC students (PC years 35 and 36) at RaceRocks, taken by Mark Kelsey. Spring 2010.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Good Kind of Crazy

I know it's about 5 days late, but HAPPY NEW YEAR!  *Blowing one of those cool noise-maker things*

As I sit here laughing hysterically watching early morning home music videos made by my current homies, Danya, Abhinav, and Esmail, I am grateful.  Not only for the laughs and the company, but for the difficult trying times in the past year.  I still struggle with accepting everything that happened, but all in all, I guess I've learned and grown.  At least I hope I have.  Last year, one of my great second years, Amber from New Zealand mentioned she really liked it when she saw me let loose and go a little crazy - good crazy I hope.  I'm pretty sure I scared a lot of people this past year with the bad crazy (I apologize profusely for that).  So since life is bound to be a bit crazy, let's aim for the good kind of crazy!

Failing my driving test, going skating with Arabs, watching certain people sleep in until 3pm, going to financial seminars with my mom, eating shwarma, attending appointments, meeting my wonderful co-year Allison from the Adriatic at a UBC tour, and just hanging, the beginning of this year has been quite good crazy indeed.


If I could sum up 2010 in a few words it would be:

Sudden tears and inexplicable sorrow
Sheer excitement at the thought of tomorrow
2010 games take over the city
Not a topic of pity
Then comes One World
weekend of joy
And the troubles of a boy
Then comes spring and exams and sun
Terror and grief when Pearson is done
Horrible goodbyes and mourning begins
Life begins to take a positive spin
Then boarding a plane, intuition looms
A vacation certain for dooms
Swirling cyclones and scary times
I'd rather forget and just think of rhymes
Trying to screw my head back on,
Meditating to a new song
Running and running and running
The beat changes and everything is in the air
Good friends, old friends, police cars and
Sad ends, (ones I hope to fix one day)
But alas I don't know what to say
School begins again, 80 new friends
Faces so bright, full of light
As home beckons on a driveway night
Academics and study. Study and books
No time for outdoors or new looks
Just work. universities crook.
Regional days pass us by
We savour them with a sigh
and Christmas arrives
Family and friends
basement full to no ends
love love love
stability returns, back on my feet
This year has been quite the feat.

I looked up some prayers and wishes for you, my dear reader.  Every time I read a new comment (shout out to the wonderful Mohammed from Egypt) about someone thinking of applying it lifts my heart.  I'll try to write more on here as the new term starts.

Recipe for a Happy New Year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anonymous


Take twelve fine, full-grown months; see that these are thoroughly free from old memories of bitterness, rancor and hate, cleanse them completely from every clinging spite; pick off all specks of pettiness and littleness; in short, see that these months are freed from all the past—have them fresh and clean as when they first came from the great storehouse of Time. Cut these months into thirty or thirty-one equal parts. Do not attempt to make up the whole batch at one time (so many persons spoil the entire lot this way) but prepare one day at a time.


Into each day put equal parts of faith, patience, courage, work (some people omit this ingredient and so spoil the flavor of the rest), hope, fidelity, liberality, kindness, rest (leaving this out is like leaving the oil out of the salad dressing— don’t do it), prayer, meditation, and one well-selected resolution. Put in about one teaspoonful of good spirits, a dash of fun, a pinch of folly, a sprinkling of play, and a heaping cupful of good humor.

A New Year’s Prayer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anonymous
Dear Lord, please give me…


A few friends who understand me and remain my friends;
A work to do which has real value,
without which the world would be the poorer;
A mind unafraid to travel, even though the trail be not blazed;
An understanding heart;
A sense of humor;
Time for quiet, silent meditation;
A feeling of the presence of God;
The patience to wait for the coming of these things,
With the wisdom to recognize them when they come. Amen.


A New Year. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . William Arthur Ward

Another fresh new year is here …
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest …
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!

A New Year’s Prayer



May the Universe make your year a happy one!
Not by shielding you from all sorrows and pain,
But by strengthening you to bear it, as it comes;
Not by making your path easy,
But by making you sturdy to travel any path;
Not by taking hardships from you,
But by taking fear from your heart;
Not by granting you unbroken sunshine,
But by keeping your face bright, even in the shadows;
Not by making your life always pleasant,
But by showing you when people and their causes need you most,
and by making you anxious to be there to help.
Love, peace, hope and joy to you for the year ahead.



With that my dear reader, I wish you all the best.  A life of happiness, peace, and laughter, and challenges too.

Yours always,
Emmy








No comments:

Post a Comment