BC students (PC years 35 and 36) at RaceRocks, taken by Mark Kelsey. Spring 2010.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Pearson, 8 Months Later.

Bet you thought I was gone! 

Okay so although it may seem I am unable to let go of this blog, I am slowly letting go of Pearson.  You may ask why would I ever want to do such a thing? The simple answer is: I have to keep living my life.

Two years seemed like so long when I signed up.  Today I am feeling rather baffled because one of the biggest forwarding sights to this blog recently, is a German forum where people are talking about my blog in a chat!  I found this quite amusing and it made me feel very happy!  Not because they were talking about my blog (and therefore me) but because the conversation was a shared enthusiasm for UWC.  That brings me joy.  Also somone said they can practise their English by reading this, and if so, good for you. :)

Today I am meeting up with 15 UWCers in BC.  I am so excited. I don't think you ever truly "leave" a UWC.  It is only the ways that you stay connected, that transform.  I am trying to think of a clever analogy.  The only one I can get is really cheesy.  One day a caterpillar crawled into my heart.  At Pearson it became a cocoon.  When I left the butterfly emerged and flew away although she comes back to visit every now and then, softly landing on my nose.

I have so much to tell you.  But it isn't really relevant.   One thing is though.  This new year is a gift, and I am growing and learning all along the way (www.universitystudentmusings-emmy.blogspot.com)

Here is a stunning poem by Mary Oliver that sums up how I am feeling about this new year:

In Blackwater Woods

Look, the trees
are turning
their own bodies
into pillars

of light,
are giving off the rich
fragrance of cinnamon
and fulfillment,

the long tapers
of cattails
are bursting and floating away over
the blue shoulders

of the ponds,
and every pond,
no matter what its
name is, is

nameless now.
Every year
everything
I have ever learned

in my lifetime
leads back to this: the fires
and the black river of loss
whose other side

is salvation,
whose meaning
none of us will ever know.
To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

---

In other news, if you are looking for a current Pearson student's blog, my dear friend Mohamed (who I met through this blog!) has an excellent one, full of insight and humour.  I am so glad he and I could meet in person and share our enthusiasm for UWC.  Write on Mohamed, you're going far!  http://moudy1994.wordpress.com/

And of course my beautiful and wonderous friend Liz has a great blog about her Pearson experience:   http://lizwelliver.wordpress.com   Liz is a beautiful soul, full of appreciation, gratitude, and deep awareness.  I know that her presence on campus is wholly transformative, for the entire community.


I am going back to visit Pearson soon and I have a good feeling about it.
I wonder if it will still feel like home, but the more I have started to realize that home really exists in the tears in a friends' eye, the hug of a stranger, the kindness of words, the beauty of love, and in the reassuring constant tide washing the ocean to shore.

May you live in so much peace.

-Emmy

PS: The UWC in BC reunion was phenomenal.  This picture says it all, and it was taken 2 seconds before a zamboni nearly hit us at the ice rink!

No comments:

Post a Comment