BC students (PC years 35 and 36) at RaceRocks, taken by Mark Kelsey. Spring 2010.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Another Day in Paradise

Well I made it through the EE deadline. Now it's upcoming block week and four exams. Then it's Christmas! I'm so looking forward to the break, as much as I am going to miss this place. I'm also looking forward to sharing the winter break with some new friends.

Sometimes when I'm feeling philosophical I wonder what our 10 year reunion will be like. Will we be married? Will we have thriving careers? Will we be happy, sad? What will we look like? Will we have children? The other night I was discussing these myriad of interesting ideas with my table and somehow everyone seemed to think I would have children by the time I was 28.

These ideas often get me thinking about what matters in the end. I don't believe it is our diplomas, our awards, our money. Why are we kidded into thinking that these are the indicators of a good person? In the midst of all this university searching I just wonder whether it matters that much if I go to Harvard or to UBC. Who am I impressing? Who is judging me? I think there's really only one answer: myself. Or two: myself and God.

Maybe all I need to do is leave each day in gratitude and peace. To maybe bring a bit more joy into the world, be it through a good laugh or giving someone aq hug. Right now we have a Pearson representative at the COP 16 conference facing gigantic issues of global importance. That's what we're told they are looking for here, people to help combat global problems. Sometimes, ironically, the quest for peace becomes a battle. Sometimes that is so overwhelming - how am I supposed to do this when I can't even hold my own life together? Being 18 is being on the brink. My driving instructor told me it's when you have many roads in front of you, it's just difficult to find the right road.

Here is an awesome admissions video recently released for pearson: http://pearsoncollege.ca/videos

I think about all the people who have been here before and after me. Who walked on this same foot path, who looked up at the same impressive forest, who slept in the same room. Yes, some of them have become foreign ministers, deputy prime ministers, CEOs of world banks and giant corporations, some have become legendary astronauts or psychologists....and I think some of them have gone and lived in the countryside, raised children, and lived off the land. Maybe what's important is to use this education in small and big ways. No one can save the world alone. I learned that the hard way. Perhaps all we can do is small actions. We can forgive ourselves for the seeming importance we think we possess and look at the stars at night and revel in insignificance.

After all these lofty ideas all I can say is that I feel like a paradox, doing everything and nothing to make this world better...living in such a privileged place often lulls us into the belief that everything is fine. Is it really?


Anyways thought I would finish with an excellent poem on success:

Success
by Bessie Anderson Stanley, 1904

He who has achieved success has lived well, laughed often, and loved much;
Who has enjoyed the trust of pure women
The respect of intelligent men and
The love of little children;
Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;
Who has left the world better than he found it
Whether by an improved poppy,
A perfect poem or a rescued soul;
Who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty
Or failed to express it.
Who has always looked for the best in others and
Given them the best he had;
Whose life was an inspiration;
Whose memory a benediction.



---

No comments:

Post a Comment