BC students (PC years 35 and 36) at RaceRocks, taken by Mark Kelsey. Spring 2010.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

February

WOW! I'm at a loss of where to start, all the news of life here has jumbled in my head and blurred together. Let's give it a shot.

Looking back, February has been the most challenging month of my time here. Basically the equation looks like this:

Academics + One World + Second Year Theatre Production + Valentine's Day + a lot of homework + an awkward time of the school year + cold weather + losing people at the college + viruses and infections + exhaustion = a stressful time.

Although, I must say this month has held some seriously beautiful Pearson moments and a plethora of learning opportunities. Maybe the times when we are pushed the hardest, are when we realize how far we've come. I think the campus continues to grow more and more close knit... It is my first experience living in a community of only 200 people and it is amazing to see how everyone work together to make this place work. It is a deeply interconnected place. This is both challenging and rewarding. It is also a completely new thing for me to live and go to school in the same place with the same people - it adds a whole new dimension to learning, a whole new dimension of knowing people. I really love residential life here. And that's not to say I don't miss home. Basically, there are two sides to every coin.


Moving on to more specific adventures - I went to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics last weekend! It was utterly spectacular. I have never seen so many people and so much energy fill our gorgeous streets. We saw a multitude of street performers, national pavillions, seas of red, different languages spoken....I went with some of my good friends: Nadine from the NWT, Brandi from Newfoundland, my roommate Daphine from Uganda, Emilie from Norway, Heidi from Finland, Amanda from Hong Kong, and Eeva from Finland. It was great to be back in my home and watching as the world participated. The spirit was very energetic and positive.

Last Thursday the college had an incredible Change of Pace Day (the best one yet, I think). The theme was Peace and Conflict and we had various workshops throughout the day. Some were general and others were focussed particularly on an area of the world. I chose to participate in a Conflict Transformation workshop led by David Hatfield (an amazing facilitator) which aimed to help us understand conflict on an interpersonal level. It was truly transformative! In the afternoon I participated in a Role Play conference led by 2 Italian students. It was super fun to practice negotiation and diplomatic skills.

One World rehearsals are in full swing (although not too overwhelming yet) and I'm enjoying the three acts I'm in. I don't know if I've already touched on what One World is, but it's this great show that Pearson puts on in downtown Victoria every year showcasing international arts and the like. More info:http://www.pearsoncollege.ca/about_oneworld

Spring is in the air as flowers are beginning to bloom. I love the explosion of colours. The blossoms on the trees are stunning. Pearson College is a beautiful place.

Yours truly,
Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment