BC students (PC years 35 and 36) at RaceRocks, taken by Mark Kelsey. Spring 2010.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's A Crazy, Snowy, Lovely, Religious, English Oral Commentary, Math I.A. Life

"What do you think we should do, Ujamaa?" (My advisor asks the student from Sudan about how to deal with an icy mountain road and 10 feet of snow while driving in a prehistoric van-bus carrying 10 students and no snow-tires).

"I think you should just keep smiling.  Be happy always."

--

Well, I hope I haven't lost too many of you since my last departure quite some time ago.  I have been consumed!  From everything to God, to snow, to math, to English.  Let's start with some lovely good news.  I had possibly the most fun day of this year so far with my dear advisor group.  In order to protect his identity I will call my awesome advisor "S."   Now an advisor is someone slotted to your case to help you survive your two years.  I have definitely had my share of tribulations and I am very grateful for all of S's help and wisdom.  So S and his lovely wife N took 10 of us unruly students to Mount Washington (3 hours away) solely for our enjoyment.  Now I can't think of anyone else who would do that, buy us a picnic lunch, get us snow pants, and make us dinner and sundaes.

We're truly spoiled. 

So we had a great time rocking out to CBC and soft rock on the way.  The trouble began as our prehistoric Pearson van struggled and seemed to be out of breath and traction as we drove up Mount Washington.  We weren't the best equipped and after doing a series of very professional risk assessments, it was determined that the Pearsonites would be dropped off at the top and then S and N would drive down and park.   We had a delightful time tubing as you can see from the photos.  Then we all had to grab rides from people in the parking lot to get back to the Van-bus.  Driving home we stopped at my wonderful co-year Mark's house in the gloriously beautiful Comox Valley. 

Then we listened to soft rock tunes, felt the wind in our hair, and moseyed along home.   N made a delicious thai curry and we watched Up and ate ice cream.

It doesn't get much better than that.

And it definitely didn't that weekend.  I grossly underestimated my Math IA and stayed up till 3am and thus had a crappy Valentines (devoid of love, happiness, and sleep).  But that's alright because I had two days to prepare for my oral commentary in English and look forward to an awesome special topics day on religion.

Special topics day was amazing and I learned about witchcraft in Africa as well as a general overview of a ton of religions and religious history.

Just finished my commentary on The Great Gatsby and feel absolutely thrilled.

Just three more deadlines next week...

Then it's project week.

Just keep swimming.

Just keep swimming.

Just keep swimming

swimming

swimming.










(or tubing down a snowy hill, but where is the rope tow?)



**Photos courtesy of S

No comments:

Post a Comment